Library Services and the Festive Season
Our opening hours change during the festive season from Monday 19 December 2022 to Sunday 15 January 2023.
Standard opening hours will resume from Monday 16 January 2023, see Opening Hours.
See below for details about keeping books/laptops for longer and which services will close.
Festive Opening Hours
|Date||Merchiston Library 24h zone||Craiglockhart & Sighthill Libraries||Help desks open*|
|Monday 19 December - Wednesday 21 December||24 hours||8am - 9pm||8.45am - 5pm|
|Thursday 22 December||8am - 10pm||8am - 1pm||Closed|
|Friday 23 December - Saturday 24 December||8am - 10pm||Closed||Closed|
|Sunday 25th December - Monday 26 December||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|Tuesday 27 December - Saturday 31 December||8am - 10pm||Closed||Closed|
|Sunday 1 January - Monday 2 January||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|Tuesday 3 January||8am - 10pm||Closed||Closed|
|Wednesday 4 January - Friday 6 January||8am - 10pm||8am - 9pm||8.45am - 5pm|
|Saturday 7 January - Sunday 8 January||8am - 10pm||9am - 5pm||Closed|
|Monday 9 January - Friday 13 January||24 hours||8am - 9pm||8.45am - 5pm|
|Saturday 14 January - Sunday 15 January||24 hours||9am - 5pm||Closed|
Access to Merchiston library books is available during staffed hours only.
If Merchiston Library Zones 1-4 only are open (the 24 hour zone), you will have access to study space, group study pods and computers.
There will be no access to book stock or staff help. Access is by swipe card only.
*Outwith these hours Library support will be provided by the NorMAN out of hours service.
You’ll find the opening hours of the Computer Suites over the festive period on the Computer Suite Festive Opening Hours page.
Keep items over Christmas with no fines or recalls
You can borrow any Library items from Friday 9 December 2022 and you won’t need to return them before Monday 16 January 2023.
This includes laptop loans, but you must return the laptop by 16 January 2023 and renewals are not possible.
9 December – 16 January
- Any Library items due to be returned between these dates will now automatically be due 16 January 2023.
- You can still Click and Collect books, but only those on the shelf, as we will not be recalling items from other users.
If you have had a Library book for over four months and would like to keep it over the festive period, please contact us and we will re-issue it for you.
- You can still book Group Study Rooms at Merchiston over the Christmas break using Resource Booker.
- Postal Loans will not be available from the 16 December 2022 to 4 January 2023. Please note that Royal Mail has industrial action planned. See Royal Mail News.
- Inter Library Loans will not be processed over the festive season while the library is closed. Requests made from 22 December 2022 will be processed after 4 January 2023.
- If you return items to Edinburgh Napier student accommodation, these will not be collected and will remain on your record until after the Christmas break. You will not be fined.
We're still here online
While our physical libraries are closed, you can continue to access ebooks, ejournals and databases using LibrarySearch.
When using LibrarySearch off-campus:
- Don’t forget to Sign In to LibrarySearch
This means you will see all the subscription resources the Library pays for.
- Limit your search results to full-text online
Enter your search words, and then use the filters on the right hand side under ‘Tweak my results’ to limit your search to show only ebooks and ejournals.
- Subject Guides – Find subject-specific help
- A-Z List of Databases
- Finding Resources –Step-by-step guides to finding ebooks and ejournals.