Funding for Nursing Students

Scottish Nursing, Midwifery and Social Care students are funded by a non-means tested, non-repayable, NHS bursary.
For Information about this bursary, and any extras that might be available, visit the Scottish Government website.

Please note that this does NOT apply to Veterinary Nursing Students who are funded by a student loan.

 Students from the rest of the UK should apply for a student loan from the awarding body relevant to their country of ordinary residence.

Childcare Funds

A childcare allowance for parents is available from SAAS to Scottish student parents who are eligible for the NHS bursary. Student parents from the rest of the UK should refer to the awarding body relevant to their country of ordinary residence.


Other funding sources

Nursing and Midwifery Discretionary Fund - Closed

This round is now closed. Students will be contacted with a decision after the 10 February closing date and payments will be made at the end of February 

The new Nursing and Midwifery Discretionary Fund fund is allocated by Scottish Ministers and is intended to help eligible students who are in financial difficulty to attend their programme of study.

Awards can be made to assist UK nursing students with general living costs, accommodation, essential course costs and, in some circumstances, help towards childcare costs. 

To apply for the Nursing and Midwifery Discretionary Fund, please submit your application via our Find a Fund system.

If you are a student from England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland you may also want to consider your eligibility for these bursaries which are also applied for via Find a Fund:

Access Bursary for Students from England, Ireland and Wales

Merit Bursary for Students from England, Ireland and Wales 

When applying through Find a Fund this will also automatically match you to any other philanthropic funding opportunities available.

External funding sources 

If you want to try looking for trust funds or charities yourself, you may find it useful to check the following places first:

The above can usually be found at larger public libraries and possibly also some university libraries.

  • Student Cashpoint
  • Register of Educational Endowments – maintained by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and contains information on Scottish trusts.
  • SAAS can search the register for you if you fill in an application.
  • Scholarship search websites are the Scholarship Search and the Scholarship Hub

What if I need help urgently?

Nursing, Midwifery and Social Care students cannot apply for financial help from the University’s Discretionary and Childcare Funds. This is because the money for these funds is provided by the government department which manages funding for non-nursing students.

If you are in urgent financial difficulty, ENSA Advisers at Edinburgh Napier Students Association (ENSA) can help you with accessing essentials and offers money advice (budgeting and tips).

Contact us

For further information email