Accessing software on or off campus
As an Edinburgh Napier student you have access to a wealth of software to help you with your studies.
You can access the Microsoft Office 365 apps through your Office 365 account and the majority of other software is available both on and off campus via AppsAnywhere.
You are also able to download some software on to your own device via the Software Download Service.Open AppsAnywhere Open the Software Download Service Find out how to access Adobe Creative Cloud on campus
Microsoft Office 365
The Microsoft Office 365 apps are available via your Office 365 account.
You can download the apps on up to 5 personal devices, giving you access to the full MS Office suite of programs for free - find out how to install the Office 365 apps.
You can also access your Outlook email, OneDrive account, MS Teams and more via your MS Office 365 account.
The Microsoft Office Quick Start guides will help you get started using the software.Find out how to log in to your Microsoft Office 365 account
AppsAnywhere enables you to access the majority of the University’s software on or off campus via a website.
To access AppsAnywhere off campus, and on campus via Wi-Fi:
- Go to https://apps.napier.ac.uk, log in using your Edinburgh Napier student number and password, or
- Open the Edinburgh Napier app and click on the AppsAnywhere tile – find out more about the Edinburgh Napier app, or
- Open a Virtual Desktop and access AppsAnywhere as you would on a University desktop.
To access AppsAnywhere on campus via a University desktop:
- AppsAnywhere will open automatically when you log on to an Edinburgh Napier desktop or open a web browser.
- You can also click on the AppsAnywhere icon from either the Windows Start Menu or the desktop.
Once you're logged in to AppsAnywhere you can launch an app by clicking on the app name.
To find an app:
- From the home page, click "View all apps" to see all the applications listed alphabetically.
- View the apps categorised by School/subject by clicking Categories on the left menu.
- You can create your own favourites list - add an app to your favourites by clicking on the app name and then click the heart (add as favourite) icon.
Please note: you won't be able to access all of the software via AppsAnywhere your own device, particularly Apple Macs. You will however be able to access the majority of software by connecting to the Virtual Desktop Service.
Download software for home use
You can download University software to your own device for educational purposes including:
- Endnote - Reference Management Software
- McAfee Endpoint Security - Anti Virus Software
- NVivo - Qualitative Data Analysis software (only available for UK based students)
- SPSS - Statistical Analysis Software
You log in to the Software Download Service using your Student Number and Password, once logged in you'll find installation guides.
Other ways to access University software from home:
Connect to the Virtual Desktop Service
Use the Virtual Desktop Service to access software such as Adobe Creative Cloud via a University desktop by installing a VMWare Client on to your own device.
Download MATLAB, Simulink and other MathWorks products
You can download MATLAB, Simulink and other MathWorks products - to support your course work and research.
To download MATLAB go to: https://www.mathworks.com/academia/tah-portal/edinburgh-napier-university-40716321.html
- Go to the Edinburgh Napier MATLAB Portal provided by your University. Select ‘Get Started Today’ under the Download MATLAB section.
- Log in to your MathWorks account that is associated to your University license (you may be asked to login with your University credentials first).
- Click the download button for the current release (you can also download previous releases here).
- Choose a supported platform and download the installer.
Install and Activate:
- Run the installer.
- In the installer, select Log in with a MathWorks Account and follow the online instructions.
- When prompted to do so, select the Academic – Total Headcount license labelled Individual.
- Select the products you want to download and install.
- After downloading and installing your products, keep the Activate MATLAB checkbox selected and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to activate MATLAB.
Detailed installation instructions can be also found in the link below: How do I install MATLAB? https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/98886
Get answers to your MATLAB and Simulink questions at MATLAB answers.
Autodesk have a free download available for Edinburgh Napier's students providing access to Autodesk software from home. Available software includes Inventor, AutoCAD and more - a full list can be found on the Autodesk website.
To download the software to your personal device:
- Visit the Autodesk website and click on the software you wish to download.
- If you already have an account choose Sign In, otherwise choose Create Account.
- Click on the relevant options from the drop down lists, click Next.
- You will be prompted to enter your details to create an account, click Create Account.
- A verification email will be sent. From the email click Verify email.
- You'll be taken to the Account Verified screen, click Done.
- If you're taken to the "Just one more step" screen enter "Edinburgh Napier University" and your School / department and click Next.
- At the Account Set screen click Continue.
- Choose deploy without network server, choose the version of the software and select your operating system and language.
- Choose Download Now and follow the on screen instructions to download the software.
Further information about Autodesk’s response to Covid-19 can be found on the Autodesk website.