All you need to know about travelling to MerchistonOur Merchiston campus is well-served by public transport to and from the city centre. There are also a number of cycle paths in the area and bike storage facilities on site.
10 Colinton Road, Edinburgh, EH10 5DT
If you need to travel to the University, you can plan ahead by visiting the Traveline Scotland website for updates and alerts.
We are always happy to help with travel advice. If you’re looking for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting here by bus or tram
Free bus travel for under-22s
Thanks to the Young Persons' Travel Scheme, you can enjoy free bus travel throughout Scotland if:
- You are under 22 years old
- You are living in Scotland for more than 6 months of the year
To get your free bus travel, you will need to apply for a National Entitlement Card (NEC) or Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC).
If you are resident in Edinburgh and your NEC has been issued by the City of Edinburgh Council, you can also use your card to travel on Edinburgh Trams.
Getting to Merchiston by bus or tram
Several Lothian Buses services stop close to Merchiston campus.
- Services 11, 15, 16, 23 and 36 stop on nearby Bruntsfield Place (Holy Corner stop).
- Service 5 stops on nearby Morningside Road (Churchill stop).
The number 36 service goes between Sighthill, Craiglockhart and Merchiston campuses, making it easy if you need to travel from one campus to another.
Haymarket tram stop is approximately a 25-minute walk from Merchiston campus.
Lothian Buses offer a student travel card starting at £19 a week or £50 a month. This includes travel on Lothian city buses, NightBus services, airport buses, Lothian Country (city zone and cityWEST zone), East Coast Buses (city zones A and B) and Edinburgh Trams.
We recommend you download the Transport for Edinburgh app which helps plan your journey as well as giving real-time information on services around the city.
To find more details on other bus services within the city, please visit the Traveline Scotland page.
Getting here by train or tram
- From Edinburgh Waverley, take a Lothian Buses service 11, 16 or 23 from Princes Street.
- Haymarket train station is approximately a 25-minute walk from Merchiston campus.
Getting here by car
Parking at Merchiston campus is for permit holders only between 7am-5pm, Monday to Friday. You can park for free outwith these times.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer additional student parking permits for Merchiston campus at this time. If you already have a permit from the previous academic year, this will remain valid - please only email email@example.com if your vehicle details have changed.
Parking outwith the University
We understand that parking around our campuses is limited. However, if you park your vehicle in the surrounding streets or residential areas, please be considerate to our neighbours.
- Make sure you follow all Highway Code and local parking regulations
- Do not park in spaces designated for local residents, GP visitors or shop customers
- Do not park across driveways or on pavements, or otherwise obstruct access for residents, pedestrians and emergency services - you could be reported and fined.
Getting here by bike
There are 100 bicycle spaces at Merchiston, 48 within covered and secure areas and 52 uncovered. There is CCTV throughout the site.
Merchiston has two covered bike parking facilities. From the main entrance from Colinton Road you will find one opposite the library entrance on the left and the other at the far end on the other side of the glass box. To gain access, visit security next to the iPoint to have your student card activated. At the bike store, tap your card on the card reader to open the door.
We have two emergency locks available on each campus if you forget to bring yours - please ask at security.
Showers and changing facilities are also available - please speak to a member of staff at the iPoint or security for access.
Find more information on our Cycling to Campus page.
Merchiston Cycle Routes
There are many different route options for travelling between our sites. View our complete Merchiston YouTube playlist for routes that, as far as possible, use off-road cycling, walking and wheeling.
You can also visit www.cyclestreets.net for more options, including on-road routes.
Cycling to Edinburgh Napier. Route: Bainfield to Merchiston Campus. Journey time: 5-10 minutes.
Footage has been sped up for time purposes. Please ensure you cycle with care and attention to other users of paths, passing slowly and with adequate space.
[360 camera view of Bainfield student accommodation, followed by a cycling route through Edinburgh to Merchiston campus captured via GoPro]
- Turn right on Gibson Terrace.
- Turn left on Dundee Street.
- Turn left on Yeaman Place.
- Turn left at the roundabout.
- Turn right onto Merchiston Avenue.
- Turn right onto Blantyre Terrace.
- Turn left into Merchiston campus.
Thank you for cycling to Merchiston campus! Visit my.napier.ac.uk/cycling for more information about cycling support.
Other Edinburgh Napier facilities near Merchiston
You may have classes nearby Merchiston campus at other local venues and facilities. These are located within a short distance of the main campus at Merchiston.
- Screen Academy Scotland: 2a Merchiston Avenue, Edinburgh, EH10 4NU
- Eric Liddell Centre: 15 Morningside Rd, Edinburgh EH10 4DP
- Church Hill Theatre: 33 Morningside Road, Edinburgh EH10 4DR
For a detailed access guide to our Merchiston campus, please visit the AccessAble website.More information