mobile icon

  Tier 4 Responsibilities

Information outlining your responsibilities as a Tier 4 student.

Important Information - Please Read Carefully Your Responsibilities As A Tier 4 Student 

You must:
  • supply us with a copy of your passport and your visa (when you receive it)
  • update your student record with any change in your address, telephone number, email address etc;
    pay your fees on time
  • maintain attendance on your course and submit coursework on time
  • attend up to 4 face to face additional registration points with our Tier 4 staff during the academic year
  • check your student email account regularly as this is how the university will contact you regarding your studies and immigration matters
  • be punctual so as to avoid disturbing other students and missing crucial information
    stay within the working restrictions (generally 20 hours per week during term time)register with the police, if required.
  • Obtain formal approval from the University for any period of absence over 5 days outside University holiday periods. Any request for absence should be made directly to your school office.  You will be required to give details of your absence to state your expected return date. Your request will be sent to the Visa and International Support Team who will consider the amount of time you need away and your visa end date.  This is done to determine whether UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will need to be informed of your time away or not. ​

The University Responsibilities As A Sponsor Of Tier 4 Students:

We must notify UKVI:
  • If you fail to enrol before the latest enrolment date (as specified on your CAS) of poor or erratic attendance
  • Of suspension/withdrawal of your studies. There is more information online if you wish to suspend your studies.
  • If you transfer course. If you hold a Tier 4 visa and you change course, the University will inform UKVI if your new course is shorter and your visa may be reduced.
  • If your new course is longer you will be required to make a visa extension application complete your course early.
  • If you complete your course early the University will inform UKVI
  • If you have more than six months remaining on your current student visa then UKVI will curtail your visa.

You should contact the Visa and International Support Team for further advice.

Any of the reasons above may lead to your visa/sponsorship being withdrawn and your leave to remain in the UK being curtailed (cut short).
Failure to comply with UKVI regulations is likely to have an effect on your present or future studies in the UK.

EFL/EIC Students

Please be aware that in order to progress to your main degree programme, you MUST successfully complete your EFL/EIC programme. You will not be able to repeat or undertake a further period of study at the same level.

Visa Extension

If you need to extend your visa during your studies, the University will make a decision about whether it is willing to offer you a further period of sponsorship. A CAS will not be issued if:
  • You have any outstanding fees, unless you have a payment plan set up with our Finance Department
  • You are not making progress through your course/exams. You are allowed up to a maximum of 2 resits per module.
  • You do not have the correct amount of maintenance, for the required period, in your bank account(s).

Working While You Study 

Check what your Entry Clearance (passport sticker) or BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) card says. During University term time you can work up to 20 hours per week in the UK if your passport sticker or identity card says one of the following:
  • Work (and any changes) must be authorised
  • Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State
  • Work as in Tier 4 Rules
  • Restricted Work. P/T term time. F/T vacations
  • Restricted work term time
  • Work limited to max 20 hrs per week during term-time

You must not work if your passport sticker or identity card says "No work" or "Work prohibited" because this would be a breach of your immigration conditions and a criminal offence. You should contact the Visa and International Support Team for further advice.


When you applied for Tier 4 permission to come to the UK, or to extend your stay in the UK, you confirmed that you had enough money to pay for your tuition fees, and enough money to pay for your living costs.
You confirmed that this money was available to you for up to 9 months. This means that using these funds for anything other than paying your living costs in the UK could mean you used deception in your Tier 4 application. Using deception in an immigration application has serious consequences.
In receiving this information it is understood that you are aware of your responsibilities in relation to your status as a Tier 4 visa holder.
You should contact the Visa and International Support Team for further advice.​
​​​​ | Edinburgh Napier Mobile App