mobile icon

  Counselling and Master Promissory Note

Entrance and Exit Counselling

Federal regulations dictate that all students taking out Federal loans must receive Entrance and Exit Counselling.

  • Entrance Counselling MUST be completed online on the US Department of Education website before we can approve your loan. This must be completed each year. You will need your Federal Student Aid pin to gain access.

  • It is also a federal requirement that you must complete Exit Counselling prior to the completion of your course. This can also be completed on the website or on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Student website and must be completed each time you graduate or a leave an institution.

  • Both counselling sessions help you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. 

Financial Awareness Counselling

Financial awareness counselling can be found on and is voluntary. We highly recommend that you complete the counselling so that you are confident in managing your student loans. You will need your Federal Student Aid pin to gain access. And will need details on your income, financial aid and living expenses.

​The counselling includes the following modules:

  • Understand Your Loans
  • Manage Your Spending
  • Plan to Repay
  • Avoid Default
  • Finances: A Priority

This does not replace Entrance Counselling requirement

Master Promissory Note (MPN)

The MPN must be completed and signed for each loan type a student borrows every year. If you have completed an MPN for previous loans or have signed a ‘multi’ year MPN these are not valid for foreign schools.

When you sign an MPN you promise to repay your loans and any interest and fees accrued. You should have one completed for your Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan and another for your Direct PLUS Loan.

If you have an endorser for a PLUS loan then you will also need an Endorser Addendum which can be found here​ under the Parent Borrowers section. | Edinburgh Napier Mobile App