mobile icon


Edinburgh Napier University is recognised as a foreign school by the US Department of Education and is eligible to administer US federal aid under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan program​. Our school code is G34184. This section provides guidance for US students about accessing federal and private loans to fund their studies at Edinburgh Napier University.

Like most foreign schools, Edinburgh Napier University does not have a Financial Aid Office. US Loans are administered by the Admissions Team. Once you have applied for Federal Student Aid we will guide you through the process by email. You are also welcome to call in during office hours to the Admissions office which is based at the Sighthill Campus if you have a query.


US federal loans are generally available to eligible students who:

  • have received an unconditional offer to study an eligible course at Edinburgh Napier University - please note courses are ineligible if any time on the course is spent in the USA, at an ineligible school or it involves any time off campus which is not under the direction, supervision and assessment of faculty staff​

  • will be studying at least half-time on campus and are not in default on a previous loan or exceeding federal loan limits 
  • holds a secondary school completion credential or has the recognised equivalent of a secondary school completion credential
To maintain eligibility throughout the year, students must be making satisfactory academic progress; cannot take more than 150% of the no​rmal time​ to complete a programme (an approved leave of absence will not be considered in the calculation) and cannot study in the US.

Eligible Programmes:

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Masters or PhD programmes

Non-eligible Programmes:

  • Programmes leading to a diploma or certificate
  • Nursing and Midwifery
  • Distance learning programmes 
  • Programmes with a mandatory study abroad component at a non-certified US loans institution or at an institution in the US (if study abroad is optional then you would still be ineligible if you chose to go)​. A student's enrollment in a programme of study abroad approved for credit by the home institution may be considered enrollment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for assistance under the title IV, HEA programs, where the school is certified to participate in US loans and we have a consortium or contractual agreement with them. At present, there are no such agreements in place.

There are three types of US Federal Loan:

  • Subsidized (available to undergraduates only)
  • Unsubsidized (available to undergraduate and postgraduates)
  • Plus Loans (available to parents of dependent undergraduate students as a Parent PLUS loan or to postgraduates as a GradPLUS loan)​

You may borrow only up to the estimated cost of attendance for your programme (including tuition, subsistence and airfare).

Please note that all loans must be repaid. It is the responsibility of the borrower to repay the loan, and to clarify the interest rates, repayment terms and conditions prior to application.​ | Edinburgh Napier Mobile App