Find a UK thesis from another institution
To find a UK thesis from another institution that is not Edinburgh Napier University, search EThOS - the British Library Electronic Theses Online Service,
You can find a large number of theses available for free download or you can ask participating institutions to digitise theses.
Please note: you must register individually (not with your institutional login) and log in before you can download or request theses.
Getting startedGo to the British Library's EThOS website, click the Login/Register button at the top of the screen and fill in your details to register. The next time you visit, login with your email address and chosen password.
- Enter your keywords in the search box. To find a phrase or words together in a certain order, add quotation marks e.g. 'academic skills'.
- Click 'Limit search to items available for immediate download' if you want to search for theses that are already available online.
- If you select the 'Include restricted or embargoed items' option, you might see limited details about a thesis but wont be able to download the full text.
- Click the search button.
For a very specific search, select the Advanced Search option. Type a word or phrase into each search box. More than one word in a box will usually be searched for as a phrase.
To combine words:
|If you want to:||Use:||Example:|
|Find both words||AND||engineer AND training|
|Find either word:||OR||language OR speech|
|Find one word but not the other:||AND NOT||beowulf AND NOT computing|
Select the drop-down lists on the right to search in a particular field e.g. search for Hope as an author rather than as a word in the title.
|You can download this thesis immediately for free.|
|This thesis can be scanned by the institution for a fee or there may be a charge.|
|Full text unavailable from EThOS. Restricted access or embargoed.|
How to access a thesis
Downloading a thesis
- Click on the thesis title.
- In the Availability of Full Text section, click the Download button.
- You can now see the Download Manager page. View and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Select the thesis you want and click the Download button which then appears.
- Save the file.
Scan from print
- If the thesis is not available for immediate download, click the 'Order from print (no fee applies)' button.
- If the pop-up box says 'To be digitised from the paper original', and the total cost is £0.00, you can click 'Add to basket' and have the thesis digitised at no cost to you.
- If there is a 'Check scan fee and order a copy' button, click to see the estimated cost and turnaround time on the order page.
Restricted access or embargoed
Can't find/access the thesis for free?
Contact your Subject Librarian for further help. Send the full details of the thesis, including a link to the thesis details on EThOS if available.
Registry of Open Access Repositories (ROAR): tracks the growth of open access repositories.