mobile icon

 Suspended Studies

Suspended study is an approved time-limited interruption to your programme of study. It is your choice to request suspended study. Ideally any request should be made to your programme leader directly or if you prefer a trusted member of University staff in a pastoral support role, who will then consult with your programme leader on your behalf. A request for suspension should be facilitated and supported, with any impact this may have on your studies discussed with you in detail.

When does suspended studies officially start?

Suspension will start from the date of the consultation between you and your programme leader. A suspension will be granted for a maximum of one academic session in the first instance.
Your programme leader will need to complete the suspension of study form on SITS to notify the University of the suspension, to ensure we appropriately manage your student record while you are away from the University. This will also allow us to get back in touch towards the end of your period of suspension to see if you are able to resume your studies.

Please note:
  • that suspensions can only be backdated in exceptional circumstances;
  • you are not allowed to engage with assessments or re-assessments during suspension;
  • that when returning from suspension you must recommence your studies at the start of the trimester;
  • the suspension of study might have financial implications concerning your fees. See the considerations page​ for more information.
These guidelines are not applicable to you if you are a student studying for the Bachelor of Nursing or Midwifery. You should refer the specific regulation for further guidance.

These guidelines are also not applicable to research students, who should refer to section 5.3 of the Research Degrees Framework.

​Before you decide

Before taking any decision to suspend your studies it is really important to make sure you are aware of any knock-on effects this decision may have for you. See the considerations page​​ for more information.
If you are studying at the University and hold a Tier 4 visa please email International Support on before considering suspending your studies.


ENSA Advice 


Call 0131 229 8791 or email for an appointment. | Edinburgh Napier Mobile App