Family Study RoomAt Merchiston Library we’ve introduced a Family Study Room for students who want to have their children with them while they study. This is for a limited period of time so we can see if you like it and use it. To use the room, you must make a booking as there’s a limit on the number of people allowed in the room at any one time. Just like other Group Study Rooms it can be booked in one hour or two hour slots, up to a week in advance.
Facilities for children
For younger children, there’s a small table and chairs, some toys in a toy box and some child-sized bean bags. Older children can use the chairs and table in the room. Free guest wi-fi is available. For students, there is a PC and table and chairs in the room.
A few things to remember
- Never leave your child unattended. You are responsible for your child's safety and behaviour.
- Children must not be unsupervised in the Library. If your child needs to go to the toilet, you need to take them.
- The Family Study Room is for Edinburgh Napier University students who are accompanied by their child/children.
- Don’t log in to the computer and let your child use it.
- Library resources aren’t censored and you are responsible for monitoring what your child sees.
- Leave the room in good condition for the next occupants.
- Report any issues that need attention in the room to Help Desk staff.
How do I make a booking?
To make a booking either:
- Use Resource Booker to book a slot in the Family Study Room.
- Phone Merchiston Library on 0131 455 2582.
- Ask at the Merchiston Library Help Desk.
The room capacity is for a maximum of four people. For insurance purposes, you need to tell us how many children you’ll bring with you.
We need your feedback!
We’ve introduced the Family Study Room as a trial to see if you like it and use it, and we’d love to hear what you think. What can we do to improve it? Do you like the room as it is? Let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I leave my child in the Family Study Room just for a minute?
Can students from other campuses use the Family Study Room?
Can I use the Family Study Room if I don’t have my child with me?
I’m not a student at Edinburgh Napier University, can I use the Family Study Room?
How many people can use the Family Study Room?
What if my kids make a noise in the Family Study Room?
Are there baby changing facilities near the Family Study Room at Merchiston campus?
If I’m in the Family Study Room, can I extend my booking?
How do I book a slot in the Family Study Room?
Where is the Family Study Room?
Are there any toys and kids furniture in the Family Study Room?
Can I just turn up and use the Family Study Room without booking?
I’m a member of staff at Edinburgh Napier University, can I use the Family Study Room if I bring my kids?
Can I give some feedback to the Library about the Family Study Room?
Telephone: +44 (0)131 455 3500