Important update on international travel restrictions
From Monday 15 February, all international arrivals to Scotland will be required to book and pay for managed isolation in quarantine hotels to help protect against the transmission of Coronavirus (Covid-19). There is also a requirement to take two Covid-19 tests during your quarantine in addition to the test taken pre-departure.
It is the advice of the University that you stay at home and delay any travel until you are told by us that in-person teaching is due to resume on your course. We know, however, that some international students travelling back to university from outside the UK have already returned, or have booked and paid for travel to return to Edinburgh.
Arriving in Scotland
If you are flying directly into Edinburgh or another Scottish airport from overseas, you should follow current quarantine advice set by the Scottish Government. You will be required to:
- Undertake a Coronavirus (Covid-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel.
- Before departure, book and pay for managed isolation in a quarantine hotel for at least 10 days from arrival. This applies to arrivals from all countries outside the Common Travel Area and includes British citizens.
- Complete an online passenger locator form before travelling, and provide contact details, travel details and the address of your final destination. You will need to enter the booking reference for your managed isolation package.
- Be tested on day of 2 and 8 during of your 10 day quarantine.
- Follow the national rules on Coronavirus in Scotland.
Arriving in England
If your point of entry to the UK is in England, you should follow the UK Government quarantine advice. You are also required to undertake a Coronavirus (Covid-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel.
From 15 February, if you arrive in England and have travelled in a country on the banned travel list (sometimes called the 'red list') in the last 10 days, you will need to quarantine (self-isolate) in a government quarantine hotel for 10 days. You will need to book your hotel before you travel and there is a requirement to take two Covid-19 tests during your quarantine in addition to the test take pre-departure. If you are travelling from a country not on the banned travel list, you can travel to Scotland without having to quarantine in England, however you must self-isolate when you arrive in Scotland.
If you arrive in England and fly immediately to Scotland, you are not required to isolate in England but you are required to self-isolate at home in Scotland. You should refer to the current quarantine advice set by the Scottish Government.
We understand you may have questions therefore please contact our Visa and International Support Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org