All students studying on a full-time course in Scotland are eligible for National Health Service (NHS) treatment. You may however have to pay for more specialised services and dentistry work.
Since 6 April 2015, some international students who come to the UK for more than 6 months must pay an Immigration Health Surcharge when making their student visa application. This charge will allow equal access to the NHS as UK nationals. All the NHS services can be found here. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it may be worth buying insurance to cover the cost of private healthcare and specialist treatments. It may be worthwhile considering private health insurance for your duration of your stay in the UK.
For students from the European Union arriving as a visitor to the UK will find more information on healthcare services here and here.
We advise registering with a doctor when you enrol at the university even if you believe you will not require these services. This is easy and free. You can find a list of local GP (doctors) surgeries on the NHS 24 website. In order to register, you will require a letter confirming you are a full-time student which you can get from one our iPoints (there is one based at each of our campuses).
If you need help now, and you're not sure what to do please go to or call 111. If you think it's an emergency, please find your nearest Accident & Emergency or call 999.
Further information on healthcare can also be found on My Napier here.