All students studying on a full-time course in Scotland are eligible for National Health Service (NHS) treatment. You may however have to pay for more specialised services and dentistry work.

Being away from home in a different part of the country can be daunting, lonely and overwhelming and it’s important that you register with a local GP Practice (doctors) as soon as possible to access help and services should you have a health concern during your studies. It is essential that your health and wellbeing is looked after and to access this, you must register with a GP near to where your accommodation is. In order to register, you will require a letter confirming you are a full-time student which you can get from one our iPoints (there is one based at each of our campuses).

Some international students who come to the UK for more than 6 months must pay an Immigration Health Surcharge when making their student visa application. This charge will allow equal access to the NHS as UK nationals. See an overview of all the NHS services.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it may be worth buying insurance to cover the cost of private healthcare and specialist treatments. It may be worthwhile considering private health insurance for your duration of your stay in the UK.

If you need help now, and you're not sure what to do please go to or call 111. If you think it's an emergency, please find your nearest Accident & Emergency or call 999.

Further information on healthcare can also be found on our Wellbeing pages.