View across Edinburgh rooftops

Council tax

Council Tax is the system of local taxation used in England, Scotland and Wales to part fund the services provided by local government in each country.

Full-time students are usually exempt from paying Council Tax.


Council Tax areas

City of Edinburgh Council

If you live in the City of Edinburgh Council area the University will send your details, approximately 4 weeks after the start of the trimester, to inform them that you are a student if you are:

  • a full-time registered student and
  • have an Edinburgh term-time address on eStudent Records

You also need to confirm your term-time address with the Council by completing their online form.

Please ensure your term-time address is accurate on eStudent Records and remember to update it if you move.

Other council areas

If you live outside Edinburgh check with your local Council for further advice.

If they ask you to complete an exemption form and have it stamped by the University bring it to the campus reception at Craiglockhart, Sighthill or Merchiston.


End of Council Tax exemption

Your Council Tax exemption will cease on your course expiry date and NOT your graduation date.

The course end date is the last date an examination can be scheduled in what is due to be the final trimester of the final year of your course of study. For example, the end date for most undergraduate honours degree courses is considered to be the last day of the trimester 2 examinations diet.