We’re here for youOur security team are always on hand to offer support to students, whether it's reuniting you with something you've lost or letting you back into your flat after locking yourself out. The wellbeing of our students is our top priority and we'll do everything we can to make sure you feel safe on campus.
Where to find us
We have security offices on all campuses, and you can call us from any campus telephone using the extension 6119.
- Craiglockhart security office is located on the left as you come in the main entrance, directly next to the iPoint.
- Merchiston security office is located to the right as you come in the main entrance, directly behind the iPoint.
- Sighthill security office is located in the small office in the foyer, directly in front of the main entrance (Room 1.A.02).
You'll see us around all Edinburgh Napier campuses and accommodation sites – please feel free to come say hello! We're here to address any concerns or questions you might have, so don't be afraid to ask.
Misplaced a phone, laptop or other personal belonging? We'll do all we can to help you find it again. Visit one of our security offices and our team will be happy to assist you.
If we find a lost item, we will store it at the campus it was found on for 4 weeks. After 4 weeks, the items are then moved to the security control room at Merchiston campus (Room B5).
How to contact us
You can contact our security team by calling 0131 455 6119 (0131 455 4444 in emergencies), or emailing SecurityControl@napier.ac.uk
What to do in an emergency
The chances of being caught up in a terrorist incident or weapons attacks are extremely low, but it is important students stay alert and know what to do if the worst should happen. The police message is simple:
- Run to a place of safety. This is a far better option than to surrender or negotiate. If there is nowhere to go then...
- Hide. It's better than to confront. Remember to turn your phone to silent and turn off vibrate. Barricade yourself in if you can. Then finally, and only when it is safe to do so...
- Tell the police by calling 999
Tips for staying safe on campus and in accommodation
Keep your personal belongings safe
It's important to keep your valuables safe with you, both on campus and in accommodation. If you cycle to campus, make sure you take advantage of our secure cycle storage and use a D-lock to secure your bike. If you forget to bring your lock with you, drop into one of our security offices and we may be able to offer you a spare to use that day.
Make sure you keep your belongings safe, whether you're in Edinburgh Napier accommodation on private rented accommodation. Lock your doors and windows if you're going out, and keep any valuables hidden and out of sight. You should also organise contents insurance.
Plan your travel
Stay safe online
To keep your identity and personal information safe, you should always have passwords on your mobile phones, tablets and laptops.
When using social media, be mindful of what personal information you share online and take the time to review your privacy settings. Remember that not everybody is who they say they are, and never agree to meet somebody who's identity you're unsure of.
Enjoy nights out responsibly
We know a big part of university life is meeting new people and socialising - and Edinburgh is a fantastic city to be in! But you can take simple measures to keep yourself and your friends safe on nights out, such as:
- Plan how to get home
- Keep your phone on you and make sure it's fully charged before you head out
- Don't leave your drinks unattended - and if you do, leave it and get a new one
- Be sensible about how much alcohol you drink and keep an eye on any friends who look vulnerable
- Stick with friends when you leave and operate a buddy system to make sure everyone gets home safe
- Keep enough money to pay for your journey home at the end of the night
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs