SafeZone AppSafeZone is a free app designed to keep you safe on campus by connecting you directly to our Edinburgh Napier 24-hour security team. The app lets you share your location with security, access wellbeing services, report non-urgent security issues and more!
What is SafeZone?
The SafeZone app allows you to send location-based alerts to campus security whenever you need first aid, emergency response, or general assistance at the tap of a button.
You can use SafeZone to:
- Check in with security if you are studying alone or lone working on campus
- Be alerted to any emergency incident on campus
- Access 24/7 wellbeing services
- Discreetly call for help if you feel unsafe on campus
- Quickly request medical assistance, including first aid or emergency assistance
How does SafeZone work?
SafeZone has 4 main buttons:
If you, or someone you are with, needs any medical assistance you can use the First Aid button to send an alert to security and share your details and location with them. If needed, you can cancel the request by tapping the button again before the timer ends.
You will then have the option to speak to security over the phone or through the chat function and a first aider will then come to your location to assist. Please call 999 if urgent medical attention is required.
This button allows you to quickly call security for any non-urgent security related issues.
If you or someone you are with requires an urgent emergency response, you can send an alert to the security team by tapping this button. If needed, you can cancel the request by tapping the button again before the timer ends. Once the alert has gone through, your location will be shared with security, and you will have the option to speak to them over the phone or through the chat function. A member of the security team will then come to your location to assist. Please call 999 in an urgent or life-threatening situation.
This button allows you to access 24/7 wellbeing services. Through the app you can access our student wellbeing resources, speak with a member of our counselling team, report a concern and contact out of hours mental wellbeing services.
What else can it do?
- Emergency notifications: Get important notifications straight to your phone to be aware of any emergencies on campus.
- Local advice: Have access to location-specific safety information
- Chat function: After raising an alarm, you will be given an option to call security, or press the blue and white speech bubble to open a chat box to speak to them through text.
- Manual check-in: If you are studying alone or in a situation where you would like someone to know where you are, you can check-in to share your location with the security team. SafeZone will automatically check you out when you leave the campus.
- Check-in timer: You can also set a check-in timer. This checks you in and keeps you checked in until the timer ends. You will have the option to cancel or re-set the timer. If the timer ends, SafeZone will alert the security team who will access and attend your location to check on you.
- Automatic check-in: This feature automatically updates your location when you enter a university campus. This will only be activated if you grant SafeZone permission to do so.
- Show you your current location