Using TV Recordings - Student GuideVideo and off-air recordings can provide lively and interesting learning experiences and we want to help
you use them as part of your studies. In Higher Education the use of such material is controlled by a licence
from the Educational Recording Agency and so any use must be within the limits of the licence.
• View these recordings within Moodle in the UK only.
• Take clips from the recording as long as they are not adapted, amended or distorted e.g. the
original soundtrack separated from the picture and a new commentary substituted or the original
concept of the work altered.
• Embed recordings into PowerPoint presentations as long as the Licence conditions are met.
• Access and download on-demand services, subject to terms and conditions for each individual
Any programmes or clips used must prominently display a label giving:
• The date of the recording.
• The name of the broadcaster.
• The programme title.
• The wording, This recording is to be used only for educational and non-commercial purposes
under the terms of the ERA Licence in the UK only.
If you have any questions about BoB or the Online Video Service please contact the Library by emailing email@example.com or calling 0131 455 3500
If you use these services and work within the Licence you will be able to access valuable broadcast
resources. However, there are some things you must be aware of. You:
- Cannot show recorded programmes to an audience which has paid.
- Cannot sell or hire tapes, videos or DVDs made under the ERA licence.
- Cannot copy commercial tapes, videos or DVDs.
- Cannot show recorded broadcast to an audience outside the UK.
- Must not adapt the broadcast, for example by separating soundtrack from images and substituting new.