All you need to know about travelling to CraiglockhartOur Craiglockhart campus is well-served by public transport to and from the city centre. There are also a number of cycle paths in the area and bike storage facilities on site.
219 Colinton Road, Edinburgh, EH14 1DJ
If you need to travel to the University, you can plan ahead by visiting the Traveline Scotland website for updates and alerts.
We are always happy to help with travel advice. If you’re looking for more information, please contact email@example.com.
Getting here by bus
Free bus travel for under-22s
Thanks to the Young Persons' Travel Scheme, you can enjoy free bus travel throughout Scotland if:
- You are under 22 years old
- You are living in Scotland for more than 6 months of the year
To get your free bus travel, you will need to apply for a National Entitlement Card (NEC) or Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC).
If you are resident in Edinburgh and your NEC has been issued by the City of Edinburgh Council, you can also use your card to travel on Edinburgh Trams.
Getting to Craiglockhart by bus
Several Lothian Buses services stop close to Craiglockhart campus.
- Services 4, 10 and 27 stop on nearby Colinton Road (Craiglockhart Campus stop).
- Service 36 stops on nearby Glenlockhart Road (Craiglockhart Campus stop).
The number 36 service goes between Sighthill, Craiglockhart and Merchiston campuses, making it easy if you need to travel from one campus to another.
Lothian Buses offer a student travel card starting at £19 a week or £50 a month. This includes travel on Lothian city buses, NightBus services, airport buses, Lothian Country (city zone and cityWEST zone), East Coast Buses (city zones A and B) and Edinburgh Trams.
We recommend you download the Transport for Edinburgh app which helps plan your journey as well as giving real-time information on services around the city.
To find more details on other bus services within the city, please visit the Traveline Scotland page.
Getting here by train
- From Edinburgh Waverley, take a Lothian Buses service 4 or 10 from Princes Street.
- From Haymarket, take a Lothian Buses service 4 from Dalry Road.
Getting here by car
Parking at Craiglockhart campus is for permit holders only between 8am-4pm, Monday to Friday. You can park for free outwith these times.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer additional student parking permits for Craiglockhart campus at this time. If you already have a permit from the previous academic year, this will remain valid - please only email firstname.lastname@example.org if your vehicle details have changed.
Parking outwith the University
We understand that parking around our campuses is limited. However, if you park your vehicle in the surrounding streets or residential areas, please be considerate to our neighbours.
- Make sure you follow all Highway Code and local parking regulations
- Do not park in spaces designated for local residents, GP visitors or shop customers
- Do not park across driveways or on pavements, or otherwise obstruct access for residents, pedestrians and emergency services - you could be reported and fined.
Getting here by bike
There are 81 bicycle spaces at Craiglockhart, 42 covered and 39 uncovered. Craiglockhart currently has no secure locked facilities but there is CCTV throughout the site.
The bike store is under the main staircase into the building. There is one covered shelter and some Sheffield stands located under the stairs.
We have two emergency locks available on each campus if you forget to bring yours - please ask at security.
Showers and changing facilities are also available - please speak to a member of staff at the iPoint or security for access.
Find more information on our Cycling to Campus page.
Craiglockhart Cycle Routes
There are many different route options for travelling between our sites. View our complete Craiglockhart YouTube playlist for routes that, as far as possible, use off-road cycling, walking and wheeling.
You can also visit www.cyclestreets.net for more options, including on-road routes.
Cycling to Edinburgh Napier. Route: Bainfield to Craiglockhart Campus. Journey time: 15-25 minutes.
Footage has been sped up for time purposes. Please ensure you cycle with care and attention to other users of paths, passing slowly and with adequate space.
[360 camera view of Bainfield student accommodation, followed by a cycling route through Edinburgh to Craiglockhart campus captured via GoPro]
- Turn left on Gibson Terrace.
- Turn right onto the canal towpath (NCR754)
- Ring your bell when passing through narrow spaces or blind corners to alert others of your presence.
- When cycling along the canal, give way to walkers.
- Use your bell to alert others, especially around blind corners.
- Take extra care when the path is narrow, wet or uneven, and use your lights when it’s dark.
- Dismount your bike and leave the towpath on the right.
- Cross the canal on the bridge and follow the cycle path to Craiglockhart Road North.
- Go through the cycle intersection and then bear left onto Craiglockhart Road North.
- Dismount your bike and cross Craiglockhart Avenue.
- Walk up to the crossroads.
- Cross Colinton Road and turn right.
- Enter Craiglockhart Campus through the black gates.
Thank you for cycling to Craiglockhart campus! Visit my.napier.ac.uk/cycling for more information about cycling support.
For a detailed access guide to our Craiglockhart campus, please visit the AccessAble website.More information