Student using My Account app on a mobile phone

Check In to class

If you are studying on one of our Undergraduate or Taught Postgraduate degrees, you should Check In via the Edinburgh Napier app to confirm your attendance for any timetabled learning event taking place on campus, at one of our other teaching venues or online.  

Student engagement reporting is a way the University can identify and support students who have disengaged with their studies. One of the systems we look at is Check In so please only check in if you are attending the event, we are using the data to support you in your studies and to help support your welfare. 

If you are studying on an international VISA, you need to use Check In as part of your conditions of studying with us.

You Check In via the Edinburgh Napier App or by visiting myaccount.napier.ac.uk - it’s quick and easy to do. 

Find out more about Student Engagement Reporting Find out how to get the Edinburgh Napier app

Check In - how does it work?

Check In links the Edinburgh Napier app to your personalised timetable and will alert you via your mobile device that you need to check in at the start of each teaching session.

You can also Check In via a laptop through My Account, but you will not receive notifications of your upcoming timetabled events.

You can only Check In for classes that you are timetabled for so you must attend the classes as per the timetable.

Students checking in on their mobile phones

How do I Check In?

The process is very simple.  Follow these steps:

1. Open the Edinburgh Napier app, if prompted log in using your student email address and password (your email address format is: 4XXXXXX@live.napier.ac.uk).
  2. Select the Check In button on the app home screen.
  3. You then click the Check In button for your current event.
  4. After a few seconds your Check In will be validated, and you can click the Finish button.

If you have notifications switched on you will receive a reminder to Check In 5 minutes before your timetabled event is due to start, which you can click on and it will take you straight to the Check In screen in the app.

Frequently asked questions

I can't pick up Wi-Fi, can I still Check In?

Yes. You do not need to be connected to Wi-Fi to Check In. Your Check Ins are stored in your device and are uploaded next time you get a Wi-Fi connection.

What about Data Protection?

A privacy impact assessment is in place for the Edinburgh Napier app which ensures that all privacy concerns are managed and that the process is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation.

I have not matriculated yet so cannot check in for any timetabled events, what do I do?

Matriculation is an important stage in accessing University services, support and your studies. Please complete the matriculation process at the earliest opportunity and you will then be enrolled on your modules. In the meantime, don’t be concerned, please speak to the staff member leading your timetabled event who will be able to assist. If you are studying on an international VISA please speak to the Visa and International Support team.

Which operating system is needed to access the Check In service on my mobile device?

We recommend that you do not try to use a mobile device with Android Version 6 or lower, or IOS Version 10 or lower.

If your phone is running an older version of Android or IOS, this may impact on the reliability of the Check In service.

If you are unable to upgrade to a newer version of the operating system on your device we recommend you access My Account using a laptop to Check In instead.

I do not have a mobile device or a laptop that will allow me to Check In, what do I do?

If you do not have a laptop or mobile device, please speak to the staff member leading your timetabled event who will be able to assist.

Can I see my Check In history?

If you click on the History button at the bottom of the Check In screen in the app you will see lists of all events you have been due to attend over the last four weeks and what your Check In status is for each of them. This data is provided for your information only.

I cannot see the Check In button on My Account, what do I do?

Occasionally the buttons are re-ordered on the Edinburgh Napier app home screen so try looking further down.

Make sure the Edinburgh Napier app is up to date if using smartphones or tablets – this will ensure the Check In button will appear and work correctly.

To do this you need to check your App or Play Store for the Edinburgh Napier app and see if it says “Open” or “Update”.

If “Update” then click on that to make sure the app is updated to the latest version on your phone.

I am not getting reminders to Check In, what do I do?

Reminders are only sent if you are using a smartphone or tablet.

Please make sure you have the appropriate notification services turned on for the Edinburgh Napier app.

My timetable is not up to date or is wrong, what do I do?

Make sure your timetable is up to date on the Edinburgh Napier app. 

To do this you should regularly pull down on the timetable screen to refresh the data.

The “Data downloaded” text at the bottom of the screen should then change to “a moment ago” indicating the feed was recently refreshed.

If there is a problem with your timetable or you want to request a change refer to the My Timetable page for more information.

Why do I have to Check In and how will you use the Check In information?

The University uses the Check In information, along with other sources of data in student engagement reporting, to help identify students who may not be engaging in their learning so we can offer support.

We are not currently using the data to support any decisions on assessment, progression or funding.

For students studying on an international VISA you must use Check In as part of your conditions of studying with us and we use the data to monitor attendance as part of the VISA requirements.

What other systems is student engagement reporting looking at?

Student engagement reporting looks at Moodle, Library Loans, Library Reading list and Resource Booker as well as Check In. Your PDT will be in touch if you stop engaging with all these systems. You won’t be in any trouble – it’s all about helping to support you.

What data is collected and how is it stored?

If you Check In to a session, the app records your name, email address, location at time of check in and IP address. It also records how you Checked In e.g. through the app or on your desktop. The data is stored securely in the University’s Check In system.

Which teaching sessions should I Check In for?

You should Check In for all centrally timetabled teaching sessions taking place on campus, at one of our other teaching venues or online, including Lectures, Seminars, Tutorials, Practicals and Workshops. You will be notified of these via your individual timetable.

You can Check In from five minutes before the event is scheduled to start until the scheduled end time of the event.

When can I Check In for a teaching session?

I forgot to Check In, what should I do?

Please make sure you Check In for future teaching sessions, it’s really important as we are using the data to support you in your studies and to help support your welfare.

I have the correct operating system but I still can’t Check In, what do I do?

Try to uninstall and reinstall the Edinburgh Napier app on your device. App updates and system improvements may have been introduced that need to be updated on your phone. App updates can happen throughout the year.

Also make sure you have Notifications turned on for the Edinburgh Napier app.

If you are still unable to get Check In to work, please contact the IS Service Desk for technical support.